Want to gift an Easter egg but know it will just cause guilt or sugar highs and lows? Or want something different for the kids other than MORE chocolate?
Why not try your local health shop for some natural dark chocolate eggs without the glucose; or ‘Moofree’ ones if you really need the creaminess!
Or, even better, try making your own! Not only can you guarantee no extra naughties or preservatives but it can actually be lots of fun… especially if kids are involved.
See below for a recipe for some devilled eggs/ chicks for a savoury alternative for the kids, and for some chocolate balls !
Devilled eggs/ chicks
1 egg (hard boiled)
½ ripe avocado (diced)
½ small lemon
½ tsp Dijon mustard (or to taste)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Paprika, to garnish
- Cut the cooked egg across the top, about 3/4 of the way up and remove yolk. Place yolk in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the avocado and lemon juice and mash together with yolks.
- Add the mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper and paprika.
- Spoon yolk mixture evenly into the egg white. And put the remaining egg on top.
- Use black olives for the eyes and carrot for the nose.
- Serve with a handful of rocket.
Make as many as you want and get creative!
Chocolate balls recipe
10g coconut oil
10g raw cocoa powder
4 pinches of sea salt (or to taste)
3 drops of vanilla essence
- Blend the nuts together and then add the remaining ingredients and blend again
- Place the mixture into a bowl
- Using the palms of your hands, roll the mixture into medium sized round balls
- Roll into desiccated coconut or leave plain
- Place them on a tray/plate and keep refrigerated until ready to eat…
Makes 10 medium sized balls.
This is a basic recipe but you can play around with the nuts you use, add cacao butter for creaminess and different oils such as peppermint oil, orange oil etc. for different tastes!