“Let food by thy medicine, and medicine by thy food”. Hippocrates.
Naturopathy uses the forces of nature as therapeutic modalities to promote and encourage your body’s innate ability to heal itself; bringing your mind, body and spirit back into harmony; leading to not just an absence of infirmity, but to abundant vitality.
By getting to the root cause of the problem via testing and other assessment tools, obstacles to recovery are identified and then a diverse range of natural holistic therapies are used to bring the body back into balance. Alongside Naturopathic nutrition; Herbal medicine, Homeopathy, Flower remedies, amongst others, are used.
The origins of Naturopathy
Naturopathy is based on the key principle ‘the healing power of nature’ (vis medicatrix naturae), which suggests that the body has its own innate ability to heal itself, given the correct conditions. As Hippocrates once said:
“Health is the expression of a harmonious balance between various components of man’s nature, the environment and ways of life…..nature is the physician of disease”.
Therefore by living in accordance with nature, such as eating fresh food; drinking clean water; resting and getting outside into the fresh air and sunshine, the vital force of nature could flow through the body, ensuring optimum health.
How Naturopathy works today?
Modern day living has somewhat disconnected us from nature due to the food we eat, the lack of outdoor living, as well as the many stresses we are now exposed to, such as pollution, electromagnetic fields etc. This causes our vital force to become suppressed and prevents the body from healing itself, making our roles as Naturopaths a lot more challenging.
We now have a lot more causative factors to consider such as mental and emotional factors from stressful jobs and the foods we eat; structural factors such as alignment issues or back pain; as well as biochemical factors. This therefore requires thorough case taking as well as clinical examinations and laboratory testing.
Naturopathy therefore works by continuously evolving; integrating conventional science with traditional holistic therapies, following the many principles of functional medicine.
What health issues can it help?
The root cause of the problem can stem from many underlying factors and here are some of the more common conditions that a Naturopath can help you with:
- Nutritional deficiencies/ imbalances
- Digestive and absorption issues
- Food sensitivities
- Environmental toxins and detoxification
- Adrenal dysfunction, stress and fatigue
- Blood sugar imbalances and Candida
- Hormonal imbalances and fertility
- Nervous system dysfunction and mental health
- Emotional and spiritual wellbeing
The Benefits of Naturopathy
- We awaken your healing power of nature to help guide you back to vibrant health, naturally.
- We consider the whole person, including the mental, emotional and physical.
- We find the root cause of your problem, not just suppress or treat the symptoms.
- We treat the person, not the disease. Disease is only a symptom of an underlying imbalance, so we focus only on your individual symptoms and needs.
- We help to prevent disease by encouraging inner healing, rather than waiting until something is broken and then fixing it for you.
- Naturopaths are educators and we are here to give you the tools to empower yourself to take responsibility for your own health!